Braised Lamb Shank
Yield: 8 Entrées
8 pieces (about 10-12 oz each) lamb shank
1 bottle red wine
1 cup large diced onions
½ cup large diced carrots
½ cup large diced celery
2 tbsp chopped garlic
1 cup tomato paste
3 quarts brown veal stock or beef broth
6 bay leaves
12 each fresh thyme sprigs
2 each 4 fresh rosemary sprigs
½ cup olive oil
½ cup butter
2 cups seasoned flour with salt, black pepper, dry thyme, granulated garlic and paprika
- Dredge the lamb shanks in the seasoned flour.
- In a braising pan melt the butter and with the olive oil and brown the lamb on all sides.
- Remove the meat from the pan and add the vegetables and the garlic.
- Then add ½ cup of the seasoned flour and stir while cooking to form a roux.
- Return the lamb then add the red wine and tomato paste and return to a light boil.
- Add the stock and the herbs and bring back to a light boil cover and cook in a pre-heated oven at 375˚F for 2 to 3 hours until meat is very tender.
- Remove the meat strain the sauce and hold until plated up.
- Return the sauce to the stove and reduce and skim the grease. Tighten the sauce with a cornstarch slurry if needed.
- Serve the shanks with the finished sauce.