Roasted and Stuffed Leg of Lamb
Yield: 12-15 Servings
1 whole leg of lamb (bones and shank meat removed)
1 lb fresh spinach leaves (stems removed)
¼ cup minced shallots
1 cup dried apricots: cut in quarters
1 cup pecans
½ cup bread crumbs
¼ cup Brandy
2 tsp olive oil
Ingredients for Lamb Jus
3 cups beef bouillon
½ cup white wine
1 cup large diced onions
½ cup diced celery
½ cup diced carrots
6 garlic cloves
1 sprig rosemary 3 long
Cornstarch slurry to thicken (equal parts water and corn starch)
Ingredients for the Seasoning
2 tbsp kosher salt
2 tbsp course ground pepper
1 tbsp coarsely chopped fresh rosemary
2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
1 tbsp minced garlic
- Sautee the shallots in a larger Sautee pan, in the olive oil over medium heat until blonde.
- Increase the heat to high, add the apricots and brandy, and flambé.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the spinach and stir until the spinach is wilted.
- Remove from the stove and add the pecans and bread crumbs.
- Set aside to cool.
- When cool to the touch, stuff the lamb and then tie up with butchers twine.
- In a large roasting pan, place the onions, celery, carrots and garlic (from the Lamb Jus portion of ingredients).
- Season the leg of lamb with herbs and seasoning spices.
- Put the leg of lamb on top and roast at 400˚F until brown.
- Turn over and continue to roast until brown.
- Reduce the heat to 325˚F and continue to cook until internal temperature reaches 130˚F for medium rare.
- Remove from the oven and let rest while you make the Lamb Jus.
- Deglaze the roasting pan with the white wine. If any of the vegetables are burnt, discard before de-glazing.
- Then add the beef bouillon and bring to a boil.
- Strain the liquid into a small pot and then bring back to simmer.
- Thicken the Jus with cornstarch slurry.
- Slice the lamb and serve with the Lamb Jus.